For years, I’ve gotten my vitamin C repair from Paula’s Alternative C15 Booster.
It’s a dupe for Skinceuticals CE Ferulic serum, the unique CEF serum (CEF stands for vitamin C, vitamin E and Ferulic acid). Similar advantages for means lower than half the worth.
Positive, I attempted totally different vitamin C serums over time (hey, I’m a skincare blogger – I can’t not cheat on my HGs!), however I all the time got here again to Paula’s Alternative C15 Booster. I assumed I all the time would.
Till Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum lastly hit the UK. After testing it for a month, I’m undecided I wish to return to my past love this time. Right here’s why:
About The Model: Drunk Elephant
Drunk Elephant takes its identify from the city legend that elephants get drunk on the pure content material of the marula fruit. Tiffany Masterson created the model out of frustration along with her personal pores and skin. Drained from leaping from product to product to heal her acne-prone, rosacea-prone pores and skin with out success.
She began delving into the science and recognized 6 substances that, utterly faraway from her skincare, helped her lastly heal her pores and skin. FYI, simply because these substances didn’t agree with Tiffany’s pores and skin, it doesn’t imply they’re unhealthy typically and nobody else ought to use them.
Nonetheless, these 6 substances at the moment are banned from Drunk Elephant’s merchandise. These 6 substances are important oils (agree, so irritating!), drying alcohols (unhealthy solely when poorly formulated), silicones (nothing mistaken with them), chemical sunscreens (unhealthy just for delicate pores and skin), fragrances/dyes (completely agree on fragrances, very irritating), and SLS (agree, tremendous irritating!).
Key Elements In Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum: What Makes It Work?
15% ASCORBIC ACID, VITAMIN E AND FERULIC ACID TO FIGHT PREMATURE AGING
Questioning what’s the perfect antioxidant on the market?
None. Relating to antioxidants, the extra, the merrier. The extra antioxidants you feed your pores and skin, the extra free radicals you destroy. It’s as straightforward as that.
Some of the highly effective combos of antioxidants is 15% vitamin C (ascorbic acid), 1% vitamin E (tocopherol) and 0.5% Ferulic acid. It’s the one you’ll discover in Skinceuticals CE Ferulic, Paula’s C15 Booster and loads of different vitamin C serums.
Ascorbic acid is an antiaging famous person. Research present it will possibly:
Downside is, ascorbic acid is unstable AF. Meaning it loses its antiaging superpowers rapidly. If it got here in a see-through tube, you’ll see it flip brown (an indication it’s going unhealthy) inside a number of quick days.
Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum has the packaging nailed proper to assist vitamin C final so long as doable. Vitamin E and ferulic acid assist with that too.
These two antioxidants don’t simply combat their very own free radicals too. In addition they assist stabilise vitamin C, making it final (and be efficient) for longer. Plus, all 3 collectively assist stop solar injury.
P.S. Drunk Elephant gave ascorbic acid the perfect likelihood to final so long as doable. However this isn’t one thing you should purchase now and use six months later or purchase in bulk. It gained’t go unhealthy inside per week however gained’t final you for too many months both. Be fast!
P.P. S. This mix works greatest at a pH vary between 2.5-3.5. Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum has a pH of three.5. The upper pH makes it much less irritating than Skinceuticals CE Ferulic (pH 2.5-3) and Paula’s Alternative C15 Booster (pH 3).
ANTIOXIDANTS TO FIGHT FREE RADICALS
CEF aren’t the one antioxidants in Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum. It’d take too lengthy to checklist all of them (and this evaluate is already lengthy sufficient), so listed here are the highlights:
See what I imply once I say that this vitamin C serum goes the additional mile? It’s half the worth of Skinceuticals CE Ferulic but it provides you far more antioxidants to stop these pesky wrinkles.
LACTOBACILLUS/PUMPKIN FERMENT EXTRACT TO EXFOLIATE SKIN
Pumpkins ain’t only a Halloween deal with. When fermented with lactobacillus lactic, they create an enzyme with exfoliating properties.
It really works by breaking down keratin, the protein that retains these boring and tough outer layers of your pores and skin caught in your face. As soon as these are off your pores and skin, your face appears smoother and brighter.
I desire glycolic acid (a member of the Alpha Hydroxy Acids household) to do the job. However in case you discover AHAs too harsh to your pores and skin – or just don’t like the thought of utilizing acids – this can be a good various for you.
It goes with out saying (however I’ll say it anyway) that if you wish to use Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum however aren’t prepared to surrender on exfoliating acids simply but, in the reduction of on exfoliation.
Exfoliation ain’t like antioxidants. The extra you exfoliate, the upper the possibility of irritating your pores and skin. Watch out!
MARULA OIL & HYALURONIC ACID TO HYDRATE SKIN
I’m pairing them collectively as a result of they each moisturize pores and skin – simply in numerous methods.
Marula oil is what gave Drunk Elephant its identify. Legend has it, elephants get drunk once they eat an excessive amount of marula fruit.
True or false, you may’t deny its advantages to your pores and skin. Marula oil is loaded with moisturising fatty acids that create a barrier on the pores and skin that slows down water loss. Plus, it has its fair proportion of antioxidants, too.
Hyaluronic acid, then again, is a moisture magnet: it attracts moisture into the pores and skin and binds it there. It’s so highly effective, it will possibly maintain as much as 1000 instances its weight in water!
Struggling to place collectively a skincare routine that minimises wrinkles, prevents untimely growing older, and provides your complexion a youthful glow? Obtain your FREE “Finest Anti-Ageing Skincare Routine” to get began (it options product suggestions + proper utility order):
The Relaxation Of The Components & Elements
NOTE: The colors point out the effectiveness of an ingredient. It’s ILLEGAL to place poisonous and dangerous substances in skincare merchandise.
- Inexperienced: It’s efficient, confirmed to work, and helps the product do the very best job to your pores and skin.
- Yellow: There’s not a lot proof it really works (no less than, but).
- Pink: What is that this doing right here?!
- Water/Aqua/Eau: The bottom of the product and the primary solvent right here.
- Dimethyl Isosorbide: It helps lively substances penetrate pores and skin deeper, in order that they work higher and sooner.
- Laureth-23: It helps the oily and watery elements of a system mix collectively effortlessly.
- Glycerin: A robust humectant that attracts moisture from the air into your pores and skin, serving to to maintain it hydrated.
- Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate: An anti-inflammatory compound present in licorice, it soothes redness and irritations.
- Phyllanthus Emblica Fruit Extract: A plant extract with highly effective antioxidant and soothing properties that slows down untimely growing older.
- Lactobacillus/Punica Granatum Fruit Ferment Extract: A pomegranate enzyme that’s obtained by fermenting the pomegranate fruit with Lactobacillus lactis. It’s a substitute for chemical exfoliation, though it doesn’t work in addition to glycolic acid & co.
- Hydrolyzed Quinoa: The protein in quinoa has highly effective hydrating properties that retains pores and skin softer and smoother.
- Phytosterols: Naturally occurring, cholesterol-like molecules present in all plant meals and vegetable oils, they’ve highly effective moisturising and soothing properties.
- Glutamylamidoethyl Imidazole: A peptide the producer claims helps your pores and skin produce extra Vitamin D and stimulate the pores and skin’s pure protection system. I’ve but to see unbiased proof it really works as claimed.
- Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein: Loaded with amino acids, it has highly effective moisturising properties that makes pores and skin softer and smoother.
- Acetyl Glucosamine: An amino acid with highly effective hydrating properties that makes pores and skin softer and smoother.
- Tetrahydrobisdemethoxydiferuloylmethane: A potent antioxidant within the turmeric plant that helps you combat untimely growing older.
- Tetrahydrodemethoxydiferuloylmethane: Discovered within the root of the turmeric plant, it has highly effective antioxidant properties that combat the free radicals that offer you untimely wrinkles.
- Tetrahydrodiferuloylmethane: One other highly effective antioxidant with soothing properties that comes from turmeric. It helps scale back irritations and decelerate untimely growing older.
- Glycine: A necessary amino acid that moisturises pores and skin and helps wounds heal sooner.
- Leuconostoc/Radish Root Ferment Filtrate: A pure preservative that comes from radishes fermented with Leuconostoc kimchii. Nevertheless it’s not as efficient as different preservatives, like parabens.
- Sucrose: A kind of sugar with water-binding properties that retains pores and skin hydrated.
- Maltodextrin: A sugar with hydrating and oil-absorbing properties.
- Chondrus Crispus Extract: A kind of purple algae with hydrating and antioxidant properties that helps your pores and skin keep tender, supple, and younger-looking.
- Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer: An artificial polymer that acts as a stabiliser, texture enhancer, dispersing agent, and opacifier.
- Isohexadecane: A solvent that helps dissolve the opposite ingredient within the system.
- Phenoxyethanol: A preservative that kills a variety of micro organism to maintain your serum secure and efficient for longer.
- Caprylhydroxamic Acid: A chelating agent that binds to the metallic ions within the water, neutralising them earlier than they’ll spoil the system.
- Caprylyl Glycol: A preservative with hydrating properties. It extends the shelf lifetime of your serum whereas hydrating your pores and skin.
- Sorbitan Isostearate: An emulsifier that helps water and oil combine and keep collectively.
- Propanediol: A solvent with hydrating properties. It helps to dissolve the opposite substances within the system and hydrate pores and skin.
- Pentylene Glycol: It stabilises emulsions and acts as a solvent.
- XanthaN Gum: It’s a thickener that helps regulate the feel of the product.
- Butylene Glycol: It’s a solvent with hydrating properties that retains pores and skin softer and easy.
- Sodium Hydroxide: It helps regulate the pH of skincare merchandise, maximising their effectiveness.
- Chlorphenesin: A weak preservative that helps stop micro organism contamination. Nevertheless it must be used along with different preservatives to be efficient.
- Polysorbate 60: It’s used to enhance the feel and really feel of skincare merchandise.
- Sodium Dehydroacetate: A preservative that forestalls the expansion of micro organism and fungi.
- Potassium Sorbate: A light preservative that extends the shelf lifetime of your merchandise by killing micro organism and fungi.
- Sorbic Acid: A preservative naturally derived from mountain ash berries used to stop the expansion of micro organism, mildew, and fungi.
- Ethylhexylglycerin: A skin-conditioning agent with preservative properties.
The one factor I DON’T like about Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum? The texture’s a little bit sticky. Blame it on the addition of marula oil. It’s not probably the most nice to make use of, and in case you have oily pores and skin, I’ll go so far as to say that you need to keep away from it. Dry pores and skin sorts will be extra forgiving and benefit from the outcomes the serum provides you, if not its texture.
It’s fragrance-free. I dig that. I do know fragrances are beautiful and makes the applying course of much more nice. However, they are often irritating. When you have delicate pores and skin and react badly to a product, 9 instances out of 10, the perfume is the perpetrator. So I command Drunk Elephant for leaving it out.
How To Use It
Like all Vitamin C serums, I like to recommend you utilize each morning, proper after cleaning and earlier than sunscreen. You apply it proper after cleaning to offer the lively substances the perfect likelihood of penetrating pores and skin for max effectiveness. After which comply with up with sunscreen to spice up its solar safety.
I am keen on the packaging of Drunk Elephant merchandise, it’s so glossy! A white tube with an orange cap and a pump applicator, it appears stunning in your self-importance and dispenses simply the correct amount of product you want. Plus, it retains the antioxidants inside secure from the sunshine and air that may scale back their effectiveness.
Efficiency & Private Opinion
Regardless of its sticky texture, Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum nonetheless works properly beneath sunscreen and make-up. However in case you’ve acquired oily pores and skin, this may very well be a dealbreaker for you. Attempt to pay money for a pattern in case you can.
As a substitute, don’t fear concerning the golden hue of the serum. Normally, that’s an indication vitamin C is already going unhealthy, however that’s not what’s occurring right here. It’s the curcuminoids (a bunch of anti-irritants) that offers the serum its color.
I exploit Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum each morning to reinforce the effectiveness of my sunscreen (CEF boosts photoprotection, keep in mind?). However you may completely use it at evening too if the stickiness bothers you that a lot.
After a number of days, I’ve already seen my pores and skin getting brighter. It provides it a luminous, wholesome glow I actually like. In case you’ve acquired any darkish spots in your pores and skin, it brightens these up and fades them away, too.
I’m additionally assured the serum helps me preserve untimely wrinkles away. Antioxidants stop wrinkles so that you gained’t see outcomes anytime quickly (on this space anyway).
However there’s loads of analysis that reveals the antioxidants Drunk Elephant picked work. That’s ok for me.
I’m hooked. Don’t strive it in case you don’t wish to get addicted too!
How Does Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Examine To Different Fashionable Vitamin C Serums?
Let me inform you how Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum compares to different well-liked CEF Serums in the marketplace, so you may make the only option to your pores and skin.
- MaeLove The Glow Maker ($29.95): An anti-aging and brightening serum with hydrating aloe vera and Hyaluronic Acid for dry, growing older pores and skin. Sadly, it has a citrusy extract that may be irritating for delicate pores and skin. However in case you’re on a finances and in search of a CEF serum that does the job with out breaking the financial institution, that is it. Accessible at MaeLove.
- Paula’s Alternative C15 Booster ($46.75): A light-weight, fast-absorbing Vitamin C serum that brightens pores and skin, prevents untimely growing older, and boosts solar safety. It’s enriched with Hyaluronic Acid and glycerin so as to add a burst of moisture to your pores and skin, making it a greater various for dry and dehydrated pores and skin sorts. Accessible at Cult Magnificence, Dermstore, Internet-A-Porter, Paula’s Alternative, Sephora, and SpaceNK.
- Skinceuticals CE Ferulic ($169.00): The unique CEF serum, this child is the costliest serum of the lot – however price each penny. It simply works. It brightens pores and skin, fights free radicals, and boosts solar safety. Its light-weight texture absorbs rapidly into your pores and skin, leaving no greasy residue behind. In case you can afford the splurge, go for it. Accessible at Dermstore, Look Improbable and Skinceuticals.
- Timeless 20% Vitamin C + E Ferulic Acid Serum ($22.90): This serum comprises the next focus of Vitamin C, 20%. Larger doesn’t imply higher. Sure, it’s sooner at brightening pores and skin, however it will possibly additionally irritate delicate pores and skin. I like to recommend it solely to girls (and males) with resistant pores and skin that wish to fade hyperpigmentation. Accessible at Sure Model.
What I Like About Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day
- Lovely and sensible packaging.
- Helps stop wrinkles and untimely growing older.
- Boosts the solar safety of your sunscreen.
- Brightens the complexion.
- Makes pores and skin softer and smoother.
What I Like About Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day
Who Ought to Use This?
It’s greatest appropriate for dry and mature pores and skin that wish to combat untimely growing older whereas hydrating pores and skin. As a substitute, I don’t advocate it to oily pores and skin: you gained’t just like the sticky texture.
Does Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum Dwell Up To Its Claims?
|This revolutionary vitamin C serum is jam-packed with a strong antioxidant advanced of l-ascorbic and ferulic acids to disclose a brighter, firmer, and extra even-looking complexion.||True. Nevertheless it’s not the one serum with this combo, so I wouldn’t name it revolutionary.|
|The result’s a noticeably diminished look of
photodamage and growing older, changed by unbelievable radiance and luminosity.
Is Drunk Elephant Cruelty-Free?
Sure, Drunk Elephant is really cruelty-free. It doesn’t take a look at on animals and doesn’t outsource this course of to anybody else.
Worth & Availability
The Verdict: Ought to You purchase It?
In case you’re in search of an efficient Vitamin C serum for dry pores and skin and also you don’t thoughts the sticky texture and don’t wish to pay insane cash for Skinceuticals CE Ferulic, this can be a nice choice to think about.
Dupes & Options
Try the comparability part above for full particulars concerning the dupes and alternate options beneath.
Water/Aqua/Eau, Dimethyl Isosorbide, Ascorbic Acid, Laureth-23, Glycerin, Lactobacillus/Pumpkin Ferment Extract, Sclerocarya Birrea Seed Oil, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Juice Extract, Phyllanthus Emblica Fruit Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Tocopherol, Lactobacillus/Punica Granatum Fruit Ferment Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate Crosspolymer, Hydrolyzed Quinoa, Phytosterols, Glutamylamidoethyl Imidazole, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Ferulic Acid, Acetyl Glucosamine, Sodium Hyaluronate, Tetrahydrobisdemethoxydiferuloylmethane, Tetrahydrodemethoxydiferuloylmethane, Tetrahydrodiferuloylmethane, Glycine, Leuconostoc/Radish Root Ferment Filtrate, Sucrose, Maltodextrin, Chondrus Crispus Extract, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Isohexadecane, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylhydroxamic Acid, Caprylyl Glycol, Sorbitan Isostearate, Propanediol, Pentylene Glycol, XanthaN Gum, Butylene Glycol, Sodium Hydroxide, Chlorphenesin, Polysorbate 60, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Potassium Sorbate, Sorbic Acid, Ethylhexylglycerin