My fave Vitamin C serum for shiny pores and skin – and the one I like to recommend to all my oily-skinned shoppers, is Mad Hippie Vitamin C Serum.
It incorporates Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, the one type of Vitamin C that actively tackles zits. The catch? It’s not pretty much as good at preventing untimely getting old as L-Ascorbic Acid (LAA), the pure type of Vitamin C.
For those who ask me, the trade-off is greater than value it. Till now.
Skinceuticals has just lately launched Silymarin CF, a Vitamin C with L-Ascorbic Acid that tackles each wrinkles and zits.
How does it do?! And extra importantly, does it work? I’ve put it to the take a look at to search out out:
What’s In Skinceuticals Silymarin CF?
VITAMIN C TO SLOW DOWN AGING AND BRIGHTEN SKIN
L-Ascorbic Acid is the pure type of vitamin C, a robust antioxidant that:
For those who’re severe about antiaging, you want this child in your skincare routine. However watch out! L-Ascorbic Acid has a few uncomfortable side effects you have to be conscious of:
- Unstable: It goes dangerous rapidly when uncovered to gentle and air. Purchase it solely if you’re prepared to make use of it each day. If the serum has turned brown, it’s too late. It’s ineffective. Throw it away!
- Irritation: Excessive concentrations (%15) of L-Ascorbic Acid – particularly on the low pH (beneath 3) it must work its magic – can irritate pores and skin, particularly if it’s delicate. Phloretin CF makes use of 10%, a focus that’s delicate skin-friendly.
P.S. Some ladies with oily pores and skin report a rise in zits when utilizing L-Ascorbic Acid. If that is you, keep on with Mad Hippie and Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate.
FERULIC ACID TO FIGHT WRINKLES
Ferulic acid is an antioxidant on steroids.
Whereas most antioxidants destroy just one or two forms of free radicals (that’s why it is advisable use a dozen in your skincare routine), ferulic acid neutralises THREE: superoxide, hydroxyl radical, and nitric oxide.
Ferulic acid kicks ass by itself. However, it’s much more highly effective when used along with nutritional vitamins C and E. This trio boosts each other’s effectiveness and the safety of your sunscreen.
A research performed by Duke College has discovered that “its [ferulic acid] incorporation right into a topical resolution of 15percentl-ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) and 1percentalpha-tocopherol (Vitamin E) improved chemical stability of the nutritional vitamins (C+E) and doubled photoprotection. This mix supplies significant synergistic safety towards oxidative stress in pores and skin and needs to be helpful for defense towards photoaging and pores and skin most cancers.”
Skinceuticals Silymarin CF has no vitamin E. But it surely’s such a typical substances in moisturisers and sunscreens, your pores and skin in all probability will get its common repair of it, too.
Only one factor: in case you’re allergic to grains similar to wheat, corn or barley, seek the advice of a physician earlier than including ferulic acid to your skincare routine. Simply in case.
SILYMARIN TO SOOTHE INFLAMMATION AND FIGHT FREE RADICALS
Skinceuticals Silymarin CF has changed Vitamin E with Silymarin. Scientific identify: Silybum marianum L. Nickname: Milk thistle.
What’s particular about Silymarin?
In keeping with a 2019 research, Silymarin has highly effective antioxidant and anti inflammatory properties that combat free radicals and enhance safety from UVB rays. Scientists concluded it “could also be helpful brokers for pores and skin safety towards the dangerous results of full-spectrum photo voltaic radiation together with slowing down pores and skin (photograph)getting old.”
We don’t know but if Vitamin C + Ferulic Acid + Silymarin is simpler than the previous, tried and examined combo of Vitamin C, Ferulic Acid, and Vitamin E. But it surely’s attention-grabbing sufficient to be value a strive.
SALICYLIC ACID TO UNCLOG PORES AND TREAT ACNE
All of the substances talked about to date sort out anti-aging. However what makes Skinceuticals Silymarin CF an ideal alternative for shiny pores and skin is the addition of salicylic acid, an exfoliant on steroids. It helps deal with zits in 3 ways:
- Floor exfoliation: Salicylic acid dissolves the glue that holds pores and skin cells collectively to allow them to slough off. As soon as they’re off your pores and skin, they gained’t unintentionally fall into your pores and clog them up.
- Pore exfoliation: Salicylic acid is oil-soluble, so it simply penetrates the pores and skin’s lipid barrier and will get contained in the pores, eradicating all of the gunk that’s clogging them up and providing you with blackheads and pimples.
- Soothing: Salicylic Acid has anti-inflammatory properties that cut back the redness that all the time comes together with pimples.
The catch? Skinceuticals Silymarin CF has solely 0.5% salicylic acid. It’ll do one thing, however I’d nonetheless use a separate salicylic acid exfoliant on acne-prone areas.
Struggling to place collectively a skincare routine that minimises wrinkles, prevents untimely getting old, and provides your complexion a youthful glow? Obtain your FREE “Finest Anti-Growing older Skincare Routine” to get began (it options product suggestions + proper software order):
The Relaxation Of The Method
NOTE: The colors point out the effectiveness of an ingredient. It’s ILLEGAL to place poisonous and dangerous substances in skincare merchandise.
- Inexperienced: It’s efficient, confirmed to work, and helps the product do the very best job on your pores and skin.
- Yellow: There’s not a lot proof it really works (at the very least, but).
- Crimson: What is that this doing right here?!
- Aqua/Water: The perfect of this (and most) skincare merchandise.
- Alcohol Denat: This is among the most controversial substances in skincare. Manufacturers love to make use of it as a result of it’s an affordable solvent that additionally enhances the penetration of lively substances. However some individuals report dryness and irritation when utilizing it. To counteract these uncomfortable side effects, moisturise nicely afterwards.
- Propylene Glycol: Like alcohol, this ingredient additionally enhances the penetration of lively substances into your pores and skin. Not like alcohol, it additionally has hydrating properties. It really works by attracting moisture from the air into your pores and skin to maintain it softer and suppler for longer.
- Dipropylene Glycol: This multitasker hydrates pores and skin and helps it retain moisture for a plumper, smoother complexion; it helps suspends substances within the formulation, leading to extra even distribution throughout software; and it makes skinny formulation simpler to unfold.
- Laureth-23: An emulsifier utilized in oil-in-water emulations. It mainly retains the formulation from separating.
- Sodium Citrate: It’s used to regulate the pH of a product, in order that the lively substances can work higher.
I’m on the fence with the feel. I prefer it’s light-weight and fast-absorbing. But it surely additionally feels a bit sticky – greater than the opposite Skinceuticals Vitamin C Serums.
Once more, I’m on the fence. I just like the serum is fragrance-free. Fragrances can simply irritate delicate pores and skin – and Vitamin C already does that (for this pores and skin sort). The distinction is that you simply want Vitamin C for anti-aging, whereas perfume is there only for kicks. It doesn’t do something for pores and skin.
However, meaning you’ll be smelling the uncooked scent of the substances (sure, every skincare ingredient has its personal scent). This serum is excessive in alcohol, in order that’s all you’ll be able to scent if you first apply it. Fortunately, it slowly fades away, too. Kinda like a fragrance.
How To Use It
I all the time suggest to make use of your Vitamin C within the morning. It’s a fable that Vitamin C will increase your pores and skin’s sensitivity to the solar.
What Vitamin C does (as shared above) is enhance the safety of your sunscreen – one thing you have to be carrying it every single day.
For finest outcomes, each morning apply Vitamin C in proper after cleaning and earlier than sunscreen. In case your pores and skin is dry, you need to use a moisturiser earlier than sunscreen to counteract the drying results of the alcohol.
Efficiency & Private Opinion
It’s much less hydrating. Oily pores and skin (until dehydrated) often has greater than sufficient moisture by itself. This serum gained’t add extra to it, so that you gained’t have to blot your face as typically. That additionally means much less likelihood of a breakout.
It additionally helps refine the feel of your pores and skin, making it smoother and brighter. This alone makes you look a bit youthful too.
What about zits? I don’t endure from it, so I can’t personally vouch for the way nicely it really works towards pimples. In case your pores and skin usually breaks out from L-Ascorbic Acid, this can be a no-go. But when your pores and skin is doing advantageous with that, the addition of salicylic acid might help considerably. However I nonetheless suggest you employ a separate exfoliant for max outcomes.
Who Is This For?
- Oily pores and skin
- Mixture pores and skin
Who Is This NOT For?
- If L-Ascorbic Acid breaks you out or irritates your pores and skin, this isn’t for you
- Dry pores and skin
- Regular pores and skin
- For those who’re on a finances, a less expensive Vitamin C serum paired with a salicylic acid exfoliant could also be cheaper for you
A darkish bottle with a dropper applicator for ease of use. Sadly, the packaging doesn’t fully preserve air out, so Vitamin C will spoil time beyond regulation. You’ll know when this occur: vitamin C turns brown. Purchase this serum solely if you’re prepared to make use of it every single day.
Does Skinceuticals Silymarin CF Reside Up To Its Claims?
|An oil-free vitamin C serum formulated particularly for shiny and blemish-prone pores and skin varieties that delivers superior environmental safety and reduces oiliness, refines pores and skin texture, and visibly improves pores and skin readability and advantageous strains.||True.|
|Offers superior antioxidant safety from environmental aggressors.||True.|
|Minimizes pore look and refines pores and skin texture.||True.|
|Improves pores and skin readability, radiance, and uneven pores and skin tone.||True.|
|Improves the looks of advantageous strains.||True. However remember that it will possibly solely cut back their look, not their measurement/depth.|
|Helps stop oil oxidation that may result in breakouts.||Salicylic acid can do that, however there’s not an excessive amount of of it right here.|
Worth & Availability
Do You Want It?
It’s not a necessity, however in case you have oily pores and skin and a fats pockets, this can be a good possibility to think about.
Dupes & Alternate options
I don’t know of any actual dupes for this serum.